Hall Application Information for Residential Year 2019/20 (Continuing UGs)
- Hall Allocation Policy for UGs admitted in 2018/19 and after
- Support for UGs without Home Base in Hong Kong
- Overview of Univeristy housing for undergraduates
POINTS TO NOTE:
- Provision of false / inaccurate information may lead to disqualification and cancellation of the hall applications and associated offers and further disciplinary actions.
- Application is only available for once a year and there will not be new round of applications for student accommodation for 2019/20; students who wish to apply for any residential periods in 2019/20 (e.g. Spring Term 2020 only) or have unconfirmed plans yet shall consider submitting the application form within the announced application period.
- Applications are not on first-come-first-serve basis; all applications received during the application period are processed together.
- Online system for applications and acceptance of hall offers shuts down sharply after deadline; any actions on submission of application / acceptance form could not be recorded by the system after the system shuts down even the student logged-in to the system before the deadline.
- Only application / acceptance forms successfully recorded in the online system will be considered and processed.
- Upon successful submission of application / acceptance form in the online system, an acknowledgement email will be sent to the email address(es) provided by the applicant; those who do not receive an acknowledgement email may consider submission of form NOT successful (e.g. late submission, etc.).
Full residential year hall offers are to be offered to successful applicants. Hall offers will be adjusted to 1-term hall residence (i.e. Fall / Spring Term ONLY) subject to students' registration status and eligibility for student accommodation (e.g. exchange-out, leave of study) or upon request. Successful applicants who receive a full residential year hall offer but wish to take up only 1-term hall residence may write to email@example.com to request for such adjustment AFTER accepting the hall offer.
Periods (both nights inclusive)
|Full Residential Year 2019/20||30 August 2019 - 3 June 2020|
|Fall Term 2019||30 August 2019 - 15 January 2019|
|Spring Term 2020||22 January 2020 - 3 June 2020|
Students are required to arrange other sources of accommodation on their own before and after the offered hall residence. No requests for early check-in or late check-out will be entertained.
IMPORTANT NOTE TO STUDENTS WHO WILL BE ON LEAVE OF STUDY / EXCHANGE:
Students who will be on leave of study or exchange are not eligible for student accommodation. Any full residential year hall offers that one has received or will receive will be adjusted and shortened in the following way -
Term on Leave / Exchange
Adjusted Hall Offer
|1 Term in Fall 2019||Spring Term 2020 ONLY|
|1 Term in Spring 2020||Fall Term 2019 ONLY|
|Full Residential Year||NO HALL OFFER|
|Online Hall Application||18 April 2019 - 2 May 2019|
|Appeal on Weightings of University Housing Lottery #||6 May 2019 - 7 May 2019|
|Release of Hall Application Results||Around 24 May 2019|
|Online Acceptance of Hall Offer (1st Batch of Main Round Offers)||To be confirmed|
|Submission of Required Proof @||To be confirmed|
|Payment of Hall Charges $||To be confirmed|
# Local applicants shall receive notification on their assigned weightings with reference to the home address indicated in their application and appeal procedures on 6 May 2019. Home address and the lottery weighting of each individual are still subject to further verification.
@ Not all successful applicants are required to submit proof; if successful applicants are required to submit any proof for verifying reported information in their application, they will be randomly assigned to a 2-day time slot for proof submission within the stated period, and will be informed of the arrangements and requirements in the hall offer letter and/or in separate cover. Failure to submit the required proof within the assigned 2-day time slot will result in cancellation of hall offer without prior notification.
$ The University is currently reviewing the payment arrangements and detailed information would be included in the offer letters which would be sent to successful applicants.
8am, 18 April 2019 - 11:59pm, 2 May 2019 (HK Time)
[for request in change of submitted information, write to firstname.lastname@example.org within the application period; requests are subject to approval]
Hall Offer Acceptance Period (1st Batch of Main Round Offers)
To be confirmed.
Means of Application & Acceptance of Hall Offer
https://www.ab.ust.hk/applyhall > "Click here to submit application for Regular Residential Year"
Students who fail to submit the hall application within this application period will NOT be considered for student accommodation for the ENTIRE Residential Year 2018/19, including quotas under eligible groups or Residence Masters’ Discretionary Committee.
Applicants who receive a hall offer will receive a system generated hall offer acceptance notification email the day after the Hall Offer Letters are sent and they are required to follow instructions to confirm their acceptance of offer online within 4 days. Failure to complete the online acceptance by the deadline will result in cancellation of hall offer without prior notification.
NOTE TO STUDENTS CURRENTLY / WHO PLAN TO BE ON LEAVE OF STUDY / EXCHANGE:
Students who wish to apply for student accommodation for the Residential Year 2019/20 are required to submit a hall application within the aforementioned application period regardless of their registration status during the application period; no hall places will be reserved for those who fail to submit their hall applications by the application deadline. Those with unconfirmed leave / exchange plan in 2019/20 are required to submit a hall application within this application period as there will not be new round of hall applications.
Weightings for University Housing Lottery (for applicants who were not offered under the Priority Stream) will be announced on 17 April 2018 and sent to HKUST ITSC email addresses of the applicants concerned. Such weightings are NOT verified yet unless otherwise specified, and are subject to further adjustments after verification of reported home address.
8:45am, 6 May 2019 - 5:30pm, 7 May 2019 (HK Time), during normal office hours
[appeal procedures to be announced in separate cover]
Any discrepancies on weightings assigned for the lottery will NOT be considered after 5:30pm, 7 May 2019, and such weighting is considered to be final for this hall application regardless of any updates of traveling time from the Hong Kong eTransport, subject to further verification of reported home address.
1st Batch of Main Round Hall Application Results (e.g. hall offers for successful applicants under Priority Housing/University Housing Lottery, notifications for waitlisted / rejected applicants, etc.) will be announced on 24 May 2019 and such result will be sent to applicants' HKUST ITSC email addresses.
It is the responsibility of the applicants to check with the Student Housing and Residential Life Office either in person or write to email@example.com if they do not receive any notifications by 11:59pm, 2 May 2018.
According to the UG Hall Allocation Policy, hall places allocated to successful applicants are based on the weighted University Housing Lottery which the weighting depends on the applicants’ home address of their student category. As such, some students are required to submit documentary proof(s) to substantiate their claim on home address.
Applicants shall refer to the details on the University Housing Lottery (e.g. travelling time and the corresponding number of weightings & determination methods of home travelling time) in the UG Hall Allocation Policy before submitting the application form.
Applicants who are required to submit documentary proof(s) will be informed of the arrangements and requirements in their hall offer letters and/or in separate cover. Failure to submit required proof before the deadline if requested will result in cancellation of hall offer without prior notification.
Applicants are reminded that provision of false / inaccurate information may lead to disqualification and cancellation of the hall applications and associated offers (including subsequent hall applications).
Applicants who are verified as non-local UG students (according to the records at Academic Registry) are not required to submit an address proof.
Local Applicants with an Address in Hong Kong
Applicants under this category may be requested to submit relevant address proof to substantiate the home address of the applicant and his/her parents. Some examples of the documents required are:
- Rate Receipts
- Tenancy Agreement of Public Housing
- Stamped Tenancy Agreement for Rented Apartment
- Utility Bills
- Proof of Relationship between student and his/her parent
List of standard documents required for submission will be detailed in the hall offer letters of successful applicants. Applicants should pay attention that any submitted documents may be further reviewed by the UG Hall Selection Committee and considered insufficient or not genuine; applicants of such cases could be rejected from the application and hall offers, or will be asked to submit further documents by a stipulated deadline.
Applicants are strongly advised to contact the Officers of the Student Housing and Residential Life Office in case of doubts.
The Student Housing and Residential Life Office will work with related Schools, Offices and the Students’ Union on the collection of nomination lists for hall residence from mid-April to late-May 2019. Representatives of groups eligible for having quotas will receive detailed information on the terms and arrangements for submitting nomination list in due course and in separate cover. Upon submission of nomination lists, nominated hall applicants* shall receive hall offers in mid-June 2019.
* Nominations would only be valid for hall applicants who successfully submitted the hall application within the hall application period.
Applicants who are not offered a hall place in the 1st batch of main round offers and are in situations demonstrating exceptional hardship may apply to the Residence Masters’ Discretionary Committee for special consideration by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org with detailed description of their circumstances and any supporting documents if applicable.
The hall charges for the entire Residential Year 2019/20 for Continuing UG students are listed below for reference.
|Room Type||Available In||Charge (HK$)|
|Local Students||Non-Local Students|
|Double Room||UG Halls I, II, III, IV, VI||14,560||17,910|
|UG Halls VII, VIII, IX||18,060||22,210|
|Jockey Club Hall||19,320||23,770|
|Triple Room||UG Halls II, III, IV, VI||10,940||13,460|
|Bunk Bed Room||UG Hall V||12,120||14,910|
|Single Room||UG Hall VII||24,310||29,900|
|UG Halls VIII, IX||26,760||32,920|
- Non-local students are those holding student visas / Entry Permits to study in HKUST.
- Hall charges listed excludes air-conditioning and laundry charges. Room type(s) available depends on the hall allocated to successful applicants under the mechanism in the hall policy; there are no room type selection / preferences in the hall application.
- Charge for full residential year will be billed in 2 installments; charge for each term / installment are calculated on pro-rata basis.
- Hall charges must be paid in FULL and are non-refundable.
- The University is currently reviewing the payment arrangement for students. Detailed payment methods and the payment schedule would be announced in due course.
- Students with financial difficulty may apply for payment deferment to the Scholarships and Financial Aid Office.
Applicants may indicate a maximum of 3 hall preferences in the housing application. Applicants may refer to the policy or the illustration below on the hall allocation mechanism.
1. Applicants who opted for UG Hall VII MUST also indicate the preference(s) of Living Learning Communities (LLC).
2. Applicants who opted for UG Hall VI can opt to join LLC by indicating the LLC preference(s).
3. Details of the different residential programs are available here.
There are no room and room type preferences in the online hall application. Room and room type shall be allocated to successful applicants only after allocation of halls. Details on room allocation would be announced in due course.
Hall applicants who do not receive a hall offer for the Residential Year 2019/20 in the 1st batch of main round offers will be placed in the waiting list. Waiting list ranking is available here and will be updated periodically.
General admission procedures (e.g. acceptance of hall offer) still apply and are required to be completed by the applicants receiving top-up offers within the deadlines indicated in the hall offers. Schedule of procedures for those receiving top-up offers differ from the schedule announced above.
Failure in completing in any of the required procedures within deadlines shall result in cancellation of hall offers.
Ranking in the waiting list is determined on random basis with reference to the process of University Housing Lottery; The waiting list will be updated after each round of top-up.