TIPS ON HALL LIFE
Hall Life 101: What you should know
You are now entering what will be a special period of your life. Halls are more than just a place to study, they offer the opportunity to make life long friends and experience a true sense of community.
Hall residents are expected to be considerate, self-disciplined, respectful of others, and maintain a healthy study and living environment. You will be with students from different countries and cultures, with diverse lifestyles and habits. Embracing respect and diversity is key to self-growth, learning and the common good.
Want to know more? Take a look at our tips below
Living with roommates with different backgrounds is not a simple task. Efforts need to be made to create a harmonious living environment.
- Self-Introduction upon Moving-in: Introduce yourself and get to know each other.
- Work out an agreement: It is better to share and agree with roommates what you prefer and the “bottom line”.
- Room Hygiene and Quiet Hours: Keep your room clean and tidy, courtesy hours after 11pm.
- Mutual Understanding and Respect: Do not assume your roommates have the same habits or lifestyle like yours. Try your best to put your feet in his/her shoes. Have an open conversation with your roommates and make the corresponding adjustment.
- Meet your Residence Master, Residential Life Officer and Hall Tutor: Find out who they are and tell them your expectation.
- Take part in activities: Various kinds of activities are organized for you to meet and to learn from your fellow hallmates.
- Organize activities: Grasp the opportunity to plan events for your fellow hallmates to share and to learn.
Safety and security is always a major concern and has been accorded with high priority. Keep the followings in mind to enjoy a safe and secure hall life.
- Hall Access: Residents can gain access at the main entrance of each Hall by HKUST Card. You should keep your HKUST card in good condition and report to the Security Centre of University immediately if the card is lost. You maybe asked to show HKUST Card to the staff for identity check.
- Room Safety: Keep your valuables locked. Do not leave any valuable items unattended to. Lock your door whenever you leave your room.
- Visitors: Visitors can visit from 9am to 11pm and must be accompanied by the host resident during the entire visit. Register your visitor at the Service Counter when entering and leaving the hall. No overstaying is allowed without prior approval from the Residence Master.
- Proper Use of Electrical Appliances: Read the instructions carefully to prevent any potential hazards caused by misuse. For example, do not overload or put non-garment into washing machine, proper use of the microwave oven and vacuum cleaner.
- No-Smoking Campus: the university is a smoke-free campus. Please respect everybody in the communities.