Spring 2020 Check-out and Arrangement
Date: 24 April 2020
In view of the COVID-19 pandemic, there have been discussions by the University Management to make prudent decisions to protect the health and best interests of our community.
There will NOT be summer residence this year when Spring Term ends on 3 June 2020. Local residents are required to make arrangement with individual hall office to check out on or before 12:00 noon, 4 June 2020 (Thursday).
For Local students with No Home Base in Hong Kong and Non-local residents who are unable to return to their home country due to travel restrictions, they can click the below Qualtrics link if they wish to have their hall residence extended to 15 August 2020. The link is valid for entry from NOW until 11:59pm, 6 May 2020 (Wednesday).
On the other hand, below are check-out arrangements for non-local residents who are NOT currently in Hong Kong. PLEASE READ CAREFULLY.
I. Check-out Arrangement for non-local residents who are NOT currently in Hong Kong and WITHOUT hall offer in 2020/21#
Authorize a person to vacate the hall place and complete the check-out procedures before the end of the residential period. The steps are as follows:
1. Fill out the authorization letter;
2. Send the completed authorization letter to the Hall Office of your Hall;
3. Ask the authorized person to go to your hall with a copy of your Student Card to clear your room and complete the check-out procedure on your behalf.
Authorize the University to pack your belongings left in your hall place on behalf of you. The packed belongings will be stored until 30 September 2020*(TO BE REVIEWED). The steps are as follows:
1. Fill out the disclaimer form;
2. Send the completed disclaimer form to the Hall Office of your Hall via your HKUST email account;
3. The University will appoint external removal company to handle the packing and storage. SHRLO staff will witness the packing process. The personal belongings will be packed into carton boxes and put into off-campus storage.
4. Get back your belongings before 30 September 2020* (TO BE REVIEWED)
The fee for packing and storage will be borne by the University.
Residents must sign and return the form to us. If there is no response by 12 noon 4 June 2020, we will deem the resident has chosen for the University to complete the check-out and store their belongings on their behalf.
II. Check-out Arrangement for non-local residents who are NOT currently in Hong Kong, but with hall offer for the Residential Year 2020/21#
a. The SAME ROOM will be assigned to you in 2020/21; no check-out will be required before 4 June 2020.
b. Residents are required to return the old keycard for exchanging a new key at the hall counter when check-in for 2020/21. A HK$80 non-refundable charge will be applied if residents fail to return the key card.
# Results of Hall Offer for RY2020/21 will be released in mid-May.
Check-out Reminder will be sent to you in early May 2020.
Thank you for your attention. We call for your understanding and cooperation to this matter at this difficult time.
Student Housing and Residential Life Office