FAQs on COVID-19 (Housing Arrangement)
For Spring Term 2021 (Last update on 26 Nov)
1. I used to have a full-year hall offer and have opted to return in Spring 2021, can I come back earlier?
As you have previous opted not to stay in the student hall for Fall Term, we regret that your hall offer will remain as “Spring Term” only since there is no requirement to return to campus for face-to-face classes. In other words, you remain assigned to the Spring Term only, and can check-in at or after 10a.m. 25 January 2021. A check-in reminder will be sent to you in due course. The hall fee will be posted in around mid to end of December.
In case you come back to Hong Kong earlier than your check-in date for Spring 2021, you are strongly advised to make your own quarantine arrangement and accommodation at your own cost.
2. If I don’t come to Hong Kong in January 2021 and register the online classes, can I come to Hong Kong later in March 2021? Can I check-in my room later?
The admission into the hall is either for the whole residential year or for the assigned term. Residents are charged for the entire period regardless of the length of their stay. Hall offer holders will be given a chance to indicate their decision on Qualtrics form whether to retain or withdraw their Spring term hall residence. Once a hall place is withdrawn by the assigned student, it will be released for other students in need. Re-assignment of hall place or re-admission will NOT be possible in this Residential Year 2020-21.
If you would like to come back in the middle of the Spring term, please indicate to RETAIN the Spring term hall offer in Spring 2020-21 by 18 November 2020. You should also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, providing your late check-in date on or before 1 February 2021. For late check-in or early check-out, the hall fee will still be charged for the entire Spring term, and will be posted in around mid to end of December 2020.
3. When I come back to Hong Kong for Spring Term 2020-21, would I be provided with a facility for 14 days quarantine?
If you have been assigned a hall place in 2020-21, you may be eligible for the support of quarantine throughout the term. However, we do not guarantee the support of quarantine on campus. It is possible that you will have to make your own quarantine arrangement at your own cost. Students returning from a place outside China, especially specified high-risk places will be required to provide documents and go through specific procedures as required by the HKSAR Government. Details can be found on the HKSAR Government website (https://www.coronavirus.gov.hk/eng/high-risk-places.html). Also, for latest information on the University quarantine arrangement, please visit COVID-19 Info @HKUST.
Please also be reminded that hall fee is charged for a FULL TERM. Thus, even when you come back to Hong Kong in the middle of the Term, you are still required to settle the hall fee incurred for the entire Spring term residence.
The University made an announcement on Quarantine Arrangements on 25 November 2020. Please note that only students holding a confirmed University hall place are eligible for University managed and arranged quarantine facilities.
For UG hall offer holders who plan to return to Hong Kong and undergo compulsory quarantine, please be reminded that early check-in to student halls is unlikely to be arranged. They are advised to arrive in Hong Kong to start the 14-day quarantine period not earlier than 11 January 2021. As soon as the quarantine facility has been reserved, students should contact SHRLO at email@example.com as soon as possible for the post-quarantine arrangement.
PG hall offer holders who require quarantine support should contact the respective Academic Schools for inquiry.
4. If I am a current student hall resident in Fall Term 2020 but I would like to leave Hong Kong for Spring term, can I apply for withdrawal from residence and receive a refund of hall fee?
Hall offer holders will be asked to complete a Qualtric form to indicate their decision with the Spring term hall residence given the current pandemic situation by 11:59p.m., 18 November 2020. If you have decided to withdraw the Spring term residence, you will be required to check out the student hall at or before 12 noon, 13 January 2021. No hall fee will then be charged for your Spring term. Please be reminded that the decision is final and irrevocable, no application will be considered again in this Residential Year 2020-21.
Hall fee is charged for a FULL TERM. If students have already checked in and chosen to leave the hall in the middle of the term, NO REFUND will be provided even withdrawal is made before the end of term.
5. I am currently not in Hong Kong. I have previously checked in to the student hall but now I would like to withdraw my Spring term hall offer as the current teaching mode does not require my physical presence. What should I do?
Same as Q4, you are required to indicate your decision about your Spring term hall residence on the Qualtric form by 11:59p.m., 18 November 2020. Also, you should check out the student hall on or before 12 noon, 13 January 2021. No hall fee will then be charged for your Spring term. Remember, the decision is final and irrevocable, no application will be considered again in this Residential Year 2020-21.
As you are currently not in Hong Kong but have left your belongings inside the student hall, you may authorize a person to vacate the hall place and complete the check-out procedures on your behalf or arrange courier services of your personal items before the end of the residential period. Further details about what you should do with the left behind items can be found in Q8 below.
6. I am on the waiting list. When can I expect to receive a hall offer?
Topping up of hall places for Spring Term 2021 has been resumed. Please also note that UG Hall VIII will also be reopened for student residence starting from 25 January 2021. In the sequence of the waitlist position announced on 24 June 2020, SHRLO will contact the students about the hall residence offer as soon as a bed space becomes available. The tentative schedule of topping-up exercise will begin in late November 2020. Please be patient and check your HKUST mailbox for our updates.
You should also be prepared for not getting any hall offer and make prior accommodation arrangement for Spring as soon as you have been informed of the assignment result.
7. In case I don’t have a valid hall offer in the Residential Year 2020-2021, can I submit a new hall application at this moment?
The Hall admission exercise is conducted once a year in March/April (for continuing students) and in July/August (for new students). You did not submit a hall application at the abovementioned times probably because of not seeing the need. If you have applied but was not assigned a hall place, you should have made prior arrangement by now. Hence, there is no need for you to submit a new application at this moment.
8. If I still have some unpacked belongings in the hall, how will the items be handled?
Belongings of students who confirmed by 16 August 2020 that they would not return to campus have already been packed by an outsourced service and stored in an off-campus location. The cost will be borne by the student and be charged to the student account. Details have already been provided in separate email reminders to the students concerned.
If you are currently not in Hong Kong but are required to check out by 13 January 2021, end of Fall term of Residential Year 2020-21, you may authorize a person to check-out on your behalf. Please do the following:
- Send an email to the Hall Office of your Hall to request for authorization check-out, providing the full name, student ID and contact number of yourself and the authorized person and the collection date;
- Ask the authorized person to present a copy of your Student Card at the Hall Office on the date of check-out; and
- Make sure that your room is cleared, and the check-out procedures are completed at or before 12 noon, 13 January 2021.
Alternatively, you may seek assistance from a service provider to ship your belongings to your specified address. If you choose this option, you will need to settle the freight and/or delivery charges with the service provider and bear the risk of any loss or damage on your own regarding the delivery of the items. Students must pre-register all visitors by filling in this pre-registration form 3p.m. of the day preceding the visit.
For Fall Term 2020
7 September 2020
In light of the announcement on teaching mode adjustment, information on student accommodation is updated as shown below:
1. I have opted to return in Spring 2021. But if the teaching mode is adjusted to mixed-mode (online + face-to-face) during Fall 2020, can I come back in Fall 2020?
As you have previously opted not to stay in the hall for Fall-term, we regret that your hall offer will remain as “Spring-term” only since there is no requirement to return to campus for face-to-face class. In other words, you remain assigned to the spring term only, and can check-in on or after 25 January 2021. A reminder will be sent to you in the due course.
2. I have courses that are allowed mixed mode of operation of class, can I come back in Fall 2020?
To maintain social distancing, the university is not encouraging students to attend class in person when it is not necessary. Mixed mode delivery is only an option for some courses, and physical presence is not a compulsory requirement. We do not guarantee that your request for Hall accommodation will be granted. If you are facing special circumstances and have a genuine necessity for an exception, please provide supporting documents from your academic department for consideration
3. I am on the waiting list. When can I expect to receive a hall offer?
In view of the unforeseeable pandemic situation in Hong Kong, topping up of hall places for Spring Term 2021 will only be considered in late Fall 2020 in accordance with the Government and University policy by then. SHRLO will communicate with you towards the end of the Fall Term. Please stay tuned.
4. In case I don’t have a valid hall offer in the Residential Year 2020-2021, can I submit a new hall application at this moment?
The Hall admission exercise is conducted once a year in March/April (for continuing students) and in July/August (for new students). You did not submit a hall application at the abovementioned times probably because of not seeing the need. If you have applied but was not assigned a hall place, you should have made prior arrangement by now. Hence, there is no need of you to submit a new application at this moment.
14 July 2020
1. Due to the safety concerns, I have now decided to stay in my hometown and take the online courses. However, I have paid the hall fee. Can I get the refund?
If you decide not to return to Hong Kong, please let us know as soon as you have made up your mind and before September 4 (the check in date). If we have not received any notification from you and you have not checked in to the dormitory by September 14, it is taken that you are giving up the hall place, which will be assigned to other students. Refund of hall fee will only be made after charges for the room for the occupied period (Sept 4-14) has been deducted.
2. If I don’t come to Hong Kong in September 2020 and register the on-line classes, can I come to Hong Kong in October 2020 ? Can I check-in my room or can I apply for student halls?
The admission into the hall is for the whole residential year or for the assigned term. They are charged for the entire period. Once a hall place is given up by the assigned student, it will be released for other students in need. Re-assignment of hall place or re-admission when original assignee returning at a later time will NOT be possible. If students would like to come back in the middle of the term, they should indicate to us at the term start (before September 4). They will have to pay for the entire term instead of partial payment only for days spent in the room after he comes back. Or, they will have to give up their hall places, and arrange their own quarantine and accommodation after they return to HK.
3. If I am in Hong Kong and am a resident of student hall in September 2020 and would like to go back to my hometown (e.g. in the event that there is a rapid development of COVID-19 cases in Hong Kong), can I apply for withdrawal from residence and receive the refund of hall fee?
The hall fee is charged for a full term. If students have checked in and choose to leave the hall in the middle of the term, NO refund will be provided even withdrawal is made before the end of the term.
4. When I come back to Hong Kong in the middle of the Fall Term 2020-21, would I be provided with a facility for 14 days quarantine?
We do not guarantee the support of quarantine on campus throughout the term. We may likely refer students coming back to HK late to hotels off-campus for this quarantine purpose on their own arrangement and at their own cost.
5. If I still have some unpacked belongings in the hall, left behind since Spring Term 2019-20, how will the items be handled?
Once it is confirmed that a student is not coming back to the campus in the fall by the deadline of August 16, to maximize the use of bed spaces, their belongings will be packed by an outsourced service as we did at the beginning of summer during the checkout period, and items will be stored in an off-campus location. The cost will be borne by the student and be charged to the student account. The room will be made available for assignment to other students in need.