Undergraduate Students (Residential Year)
Continuing UGs
New Non-Local UGs
New Local UGs
Exchange-in UGs
Admission Policy (for Residential Year residences)
Support for UGs without Home Base in Hong Kong
Check-in Procedures
Undergraduate Students (Summer)
Research Postgraduate Students (Residential Year)
Research Postgraduate Students (Summer)
Taught Postgraduate Students
Visiting Internship & Visiting Students
Hall Application Information for Residential Year 2018/19 (New Non-Local UGs)
Hall Application Period: early July 2018 - mid July 2018
(application details, e.g. exact application period, detailed application procedures, residential period & other relevant terms, will be availalbe in June 2018)
Hall application information will be available in June 2018. In the meantime, you may go through the UG Hall Allocation Policy and other information related to student housing in the section / links below.
Hall Application Information Sheet (for Continuing UGs) [available in June 2018]
Non-local undergraduates, i.e. those holding student visas / entry permits to study in HKUST, are provided with on-campus accommodation in their 1st year of study in HKUST whereas University provides accommodation in their 2nd year of study in HKUST. All leaves of absence (e.g. exchange, internship, leave of study, etc.) will be counted towards their first 2 years of study. Priority housing no longer applies after 2 years since admission to HKUST. Accommodation will be offered if they submit their applications AND complete all required procedures by the deadlines which will be announced at later stage.
Non-local undergraduates are NOT guaranteed University housing starting in their 3rd year of study, and they are advised to plan ahead to arrange off-campus accommodation. They should expect to pay HK$5,000 to $7,000 per month to cover their accommodation costs. They may still apply for on-campus accommodation but spaces are extremely limited and allocated according to a weighted lot drawing system or to those who participate in certain group activities. Details of the lot drawing and group activity schemes will be announced by late March 2018 and implemented immediately for housing applications for 2018/19. Students may contact the University’s Off-Campus Housing Section for support in sourcing for off-campus accommodation in the private market.
Below is an illustration of the expected cost of living of a non-local undergraduate:
 HK$ per person per month (approx. estimation) 
 1st 2 years of study
 3rd year or above
 Hall Fee +
 $1,350 - 3,330
 Rent for Off-Campus Accommodation * 
 $5,000 - 7,000
 Utilities @
 Food ^
 Local Transportation
 Personal Miscellaneous #
 $6,150 - 8,160
 $10,100 - 12,100
Disclaimer: The above estimates are for reference only; the actual amount required varies upon individuals' lifestyles and preferences.
Hall charges for 2017/18 is shown; Charges for the Residential Year 2018/19 is expected to increase and is currently under review and pending University approval
Includes a bed space in a shared apartment in the Tseung Kwan O areas or in a village house in the Tai Po Tsai area; more examples of rental cost in other districts are available here
For student halls, the cost generally includes air-conditioning and laundry; For self-arranged accommodation, the cost generally includes shared electricity, water, Internet & cleaning service (if applicable)
Based on the average cost of the catering facilities available on campus (assuming 3 meals per day)
Includes expenses on academic supplies, entertainment, household & other personal items
First-Year Experience @ Residence Program (FYE)
The First-Year Experience @ Residence Program (FYE) is an exciting new initiative for first year HKUST undergraduate students. It is open to approximately 600 new students, local, mainland China and overseas. At the time when you receive your University housing information as a newly admitted non-local undergraduate student, you may elect to participate in this program.
Hall Fees
Message from Head
Message from Residence Masters
Meet our Housing Officers
Publications & Forms
Contact Us
Undergraduate Housing
Postgraduate Housing
Off-Campus Housing
Vacation Rentals
Undergraduate Students (Residential Year)
Undergraduate Students (Summer)
Research Postgraduate Students (Residential Year)
Research Postgraduate Students (Summer)
Taught Postgraduate Students
Visiting Internship & Visiting Students
First-Year Experience @ Residence Program (FYE)
Guest Pass Scheme
N.I.C.E.S ResLife
Hall Education Team
Residential Programs
Student Activity Sharing
Tips on Hall Life
Prospective Students
Current Students
G/F, UG Hall ll, HKUST, Clear Water Bay, Kowloon, H.K.
Telephone: (852) 2358-6664
Fax: (852) 2719-5455
Email: shrloinfo@ust.hk
Contact Us | HKUST